Saturday, November 29, 2008

Why cleaning house is a bad idea

NetBeans is such a reasonable IDE for most tasks so this one took me by surprise.

I always wondered what the "clean" in Clean & Build did.

Ive been working away at my final project, an Applet with audio and visual files.  All those .au and .gif files were stored neatly in just the right subdirs in relation to the classes subdir...

... until I did a Clean & Build.  Guess what kids?  No more nuthin under the build subdir.  Nada.  When they say clean they really mean it!

Remember that last post about the need for a backup system?

Luckily at the bottom of my purse was a tiny USB stick I'd taken to the lab with all those files.  

So, my conclusion:  
Never Clean & Build 
(until I learn how to properly set up a content management system)
Never clean out your purse.
And backup WITH directory structure.

(The 1 Tb brick is ordered and in the mail.)

No comments: