Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Getting fit with Gadgets

I've heard the most obnoxious people are the Newly Sober. If the same is true for the Newly Resolved to Get Fit, my friends may want to avoid me for awhile.

For no good reason, I have decided to try yet again to get fit.

Exercise and a wholesome diet would be a reasonable place to start. But that's not where I'm starting. I'm not always reasonable.

Last time I gave this a serious try, my success coincided with getting a fancy scale. And then around the time that fitness started waning, my fancy scale was broken. Causality or coincidence, the scale seems to work for me. OK, so it might be an accountability thing. Or it might just be a nerdy obsession to collect and analyze data. In 'Getting Fit with Gadgets' the with should be interpreted as accompanied by, not by means of.

The scale is my friend who cannot lie.

Due for delivery August 5th at my door is a big package from Amazon.com containing two new toys: a body composition scale and a blood pressure monitor.

Last time I did this, I measured my body composition each morning on the scale, and watched the time series data in a graph. Seeing the progress kept me motivated.

So let the experiment commence.

No comments: